dismail.de is a platform providing free online services based on principles of privacy, security, decentralization and freedom. All services are hosted in Germany.
- XMPP - Decentralized instant messaging
- Email - Free email accounts for your IMAP/SMTP clients or via Webinterface.
- PrivateBin - Minimalist, open source, encrypted online pastebin/discussion board
- NTP - dismail.de servers are part of the NTP Pool project
- DNS - Free DNS resolver (with ad, malware and tracking filter)
- Tor - Some of our servers are part of the Tor privacy network
- yadim - Yet another temporary email service
- ESEL - Email server security list
No advertising, no tracking, no profiling, no data mining, no fancy website.
2019-04-25: Second MX Server up and running
The second MX Server is up and running. With that, the whole restructuring and upgrading is mostly finished. As always, please report any issues.
2019-03-31: Scheduled XMPP downtime on Sunday, April 7th 8:00-10:00 UTC
Server migration - Part III: The XMPP service will be moved to a new server on April 7th 8:00-10:00 UTC. XMPP will not be available during the migration.
2019-03-29: Server migration - Part II
dismail's website has been moved to the new webserver (This also affects some XMPP clients which do not use XMPP SRV Records. Appropriate network rules are in place, so everything should work as usual). Additionally the xmpps address has been changed. Please report any issues.
2019-03-24: Server migration - Part I
The XMPP service will be moved to a new server. As a first step, the Webchat and the XMPP filestore has been moved to the new webserver, please report any issues.
2019-03-03: Support for TLS v1.0 and TLS v1.1 has been dropped
As announced TLS v1.0 and TLS v1.1 are no longer supported (IMAP and SMTP). If you receive errors such as "Unknown SSL protocol error in connection", please update your client.
2019-02-25: Webchat updated to converse.js v4.1.2Some Highlights - You can find more at convers.js changelog
- XEP-0384: OMEMO encrypted messaging. Please be aware that your OMEMO key is stored and generated by your webbrowser (Security considerations for browser-based crypto)
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload (no OMEMO)
- XEP-0308: Last Message Correction
- Support for OTR (off-the-record) encryption has been dropped, but you can use the legacy version.
2019-02-06: Support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 is being discontinued in March 2019
dismail.de is going to drop support for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in March 2019 (IMAP and SMTP).
If you use outdated email clients or devices, please upgrade. If you are already using up-to-date email clients, you are most probably already using TLS 1.2.
2018-12-06: Prosody 0.11.1
Prosody 0.11.0 has been released on 2018-11-21 and a few days later Prosody 0.11.1
So why haven't I updated yet?
- The upgrade and migration of the mailsystem was and is very time consuming, but it's worth it.
What we have now: load-balanced, georedundent systems which I could swear are also somehow hyperconverged ;)
- I am not an early adopter. The new software release needs testing even if there are no significant changes. The running Prosody version is at a local stable maximum with some known minor issues. The new release don't has any killer feature forcing me to upgrade in a hurry.
- The upgrade will be combined with a new server and a lot of testing and this needs time.
2018-12-06: Provider maintenance work - Thursday Dec 13th 3:00-5:00 UTCXMPP: Due to maintenance in the providers Data Center there will be a short network interruption between 3:00-5:00 UTC
2018-11-25: New SMTP ServersThe new SMTP Servers are now up and running, please report any issues.
Currently you might experience connection problems to the SMTP Gateway. This could be related to the preparation of new SMTP-Servers. I'm working on it. Sorry for any inconvenience.
SMTP issue (fixed)
2018-10-23: New IMAP and DB ServersIn then next few days I will start integrating new IMAP and DB Servers. Actually they are already in sync, but there are some subsequent works to be done. Most can be done without interruption, some not (most likely you will not notice it)
2018-10-10: Scheduled maintenance on Friday, Oct 12th 6:30-8:00 UTC.Webmail will not be reachable during the maintenance.
2018-10-02: Scheduled maintenance on Thursday, Oct 4th 7:00-8:00 UTC.fdns1, privatebin and yadim will not be reachable during the maintenance.
2018-09-11: dismail.de has been added to the STARTTLS Everywhere Policy List"STARTTLS Everywhere is a project by EFF to improve the security of the email ecosystem. We want to increase and improve STARTTLS adoption and improve solutions for downgrade attacks on secure email communications."
Please report any issues.
2018-07-24: STARTTLS Everywhere Policy List enforcementOn Saturday, 28th dismail.de will start using the STARTTLS Everywhere Policy List to enforce TLS connections to all listed domains. Please report any issues.
2018-06-09: Scheduled maintenance on Wednesday, 13th 07:00 - 07:30 UTC.The XMPP service will not be available on Wednesday, 13th between 07:00 and 07:30 UTC.
2018-05-22: Die Datenschutzrichtlinie wurde aktualisiertDie Datenschutzrichtline wurde nach Vorgaben durch die EU-Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) aktualisiert.
2018-05-03: Webmail - Scheduled maintenance on Sunday 6th 8:00-9:00 UTCThe webmailer will be updated and will not be available on Sunday 6th 8:00-9:00 UTC.
2018-05-01: XMPP Certificate will be updated on Friday, May 4thSHA1 Fingerprint:
2018-03-19: The webmailer has been moved to a new serverThe webmailer has been moved to a new host. Please report any issues you might experience.
2018-02-15: Webchat updatedThe webchat has been updated. In addition, there is now a full screen version.
2018-02-12: Third-party request on the registration pageThere was an unnecessary third-party request for bootstrap on the registration page.
Many thanks to Mike from Kuketz IT-Security for reporting it.
2018-02-04: XMPP Certificate will be updated on Wednesday, February 7thSHA1 Fingerprint:
2017-12-26: Email provider list
- Sometimes I get asked which other mail provider I recommend. I don't want to recommend any. But here is a serverlist, please decide for yourself.
2017-12-18: OMEMO now without mutual presence subscription.
- Daniel Gultsch has developed a prosody module that makes OMEMO available without the need of mutual presence subscription (at least with conversations).
2017-12-06: Scheduled maintenance on Sunday, December 17th 5:00-7:00 UTC.
- Mail server and XMPP server will not be available.
2017-11-12: Certificate will be updated on Wednesday, November 15thSHA1 Fingerprint:
2017-10-21: Webchat moved to subpageThe webchat has been moved to a subpage to reduce size and load time of the main page.
2017-10-11: Planned network interruption on Wednesday, October 18th between 03:00 - 05:00 UTCDue to maintenance work there will be a short (a few minutes) network interruption on Wednesday, October 18th between 03:00 - 05:00 UTC.
2017-08-25: Dear ChatSecure user ...Some ChatSecure users seem to have connectivity issues after the certificate change. Please open your account details and then "Edit Account". A popup should appear where you are asked to accept the new certificate. See also: ChatSecure issue 777
After that your ChatSecure should work as usual.